Have you ever considered devoting all or part of your vacation to a writing retreat? Imagine combining all the pluses of being on vacation with the opportunity to be with other writers, build your craft and focus on your writing without distraction.
Consider the benefits
- explore a new town, city or area of the country
- spend distraction-free time away from daily responsibilities
- find freedom from the stresses of life
- build your skills
- make new writing friends (and keep in touch after the retreat)
- if you’re nervous about attending a retreat for the first time on your own, why not sign up with a writer friend
- make sure you’re clear about what is offered on the retreat, such as skill building workshops, writing in a group setting, independent writing time (how much), one-to-one feedback from the leader, guest speakers
- if the retreat is residential, be sure the organizers are clear about any special dietary or other needs you may have
- set some goals for yourself – what do you hope to accomplish by the end of the retreat?
- how will you challenge yourself to step outside your comfort zone?
Here is a sampling of some Canadian writing retreats being offered this summer:
The Haliburton School of the Arts offers the following selection at their campus in Haliburton, Ontario.
- Travel Writing Workshop – Course ARTS2028 – Saturday, July 12
- Creative Writing – Ignite Your Potential – Course ARTS706 – July 14 – 18
- Writing and Yoga Workshop – Course ARTS2059 – Saturday, July 26
- Creative Writing – The Power of Story – Course ARTS1815 – July 28 – August 1
- Creative Writing – Open Studio – Course ARTS 765 – August 4 – 8
FULL DETAILS, CLICK HERE. Telephone: 705-457-1680.
August 21 – 24, 2014 – Roches Point (on Lake Simcoe), Ontario
Website: CLICK HERE.
Radical Restoration presents Sebright Sanctuary, August 7 to 10, 2014
A three day immersion into daily guided writing practice facilitated by Sue Reynolds followed by afternoons of silent writing. Designed to get the muse fired up and the pen moving in a supportive and peaceful environment. Optional yoga. Only two spaces left. For more information and to register CLICK HERE.
June 27 – 29 – Georgian Bay
Do you have a project you can’t find time for? Is the noise of the city distracting you from creative nourishment? Do you feel a familiar longing to reconnect to your writing voice?
FULL DETAILS, CLICK HERE.
Independent Writing Retreat with John Tattrie and Gwen Davies
Tatamagouche Centre, Tatamagouche, NS (near Halifax)
August 17 – 22, 2014
For details, CLICK HERE. Information:
Location: Cortes Island, British Columbia
For details, CLICK HERE.
|Art of Food Writing||Arlene Kroeker||Aug 15 – 19|
|Great Getaways Travel Writing||Cheryl MacKinnon||Aug 6 – 10|
|Memory & Myth: Transforming Personal History||Peter Behrens||Oct 17 – 22|
|Poetry & Contemplation||Jan Zwicky||Oct 3 – 8|
|Transformation Through Writing||Mark Matousek||Sep 19 – 24|
|Write your Life for the Page & Stage||Ann Randolph||Jul 23 – 27|
I hope that you found these suggestions inspiring. If you don’t sign up this year, possibly I’ve planted a few seeds for future summers. I’d love to hear about your experiences.
Until next time,
If you enjoyed reading this post, why not subscribe to our blog? Just enter your email address in the “subscribe” box at the top right hand corner of this page. And if you’d like to subscribe to our monthly newsletter, click here.
All photographs in this post are by Janis McCallen.